It’s Hospice Care Week and we’d love you to get involved! Each year we join Hospice UK and other local hospices for a week of celebration and action. It’s a chance for us to reflect on the difference hospice care makes to local people’s lives and to thank everyone involved in making it possible.
Running from 7-13th October, the theme this year is ‘This is what it takes’ and we will be using the week to take a closer look at the facts and figures within hospice care, to give people a better insight into what it takes to provide hospice care and what it costs.
This is what it takes:
- Last year our Hospice at Home team supported 143 patients in their own homes. They spent 10,255 hours doing this, which allowed the patient’s carer to take a much needed break.
- Since April 2019 our Welfare Rights Team have helped and enabled patient’s, carer’s and bereaved relatives claim over £1 million pounds in eligible benefits.
- Every week the Hospice Admin Team answer over 320 phone calls from patients, carers and professionals.
- Our Complementary therapists treat around 100 pairs of patient’s feet each month. Providing reflexology which can help manage symptoms such as stress, constipation and fatigue.
- Every day it costs £4,237 for the hospice to run all of its services.
Hospice care is free, but it’s not cheap. It’s important and demanding. And most of all, it’s very special. Join us this October and play your part in showing what it takes to give the people of Blaenau Gwent the care they need and deserve.
There are lots of ways you can support Hospice of the Valleys during Hospice Care week:
- Do some fundraising! Stuck for ideas then visit hospiceofthevalleys.org.uk/get-involved/
- Donate your unwanted items to one of our charity shops hospiceofthevalleys.org.uk/shops/
- Become a volunteer hospiceofthevalleys.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/
- Make a donation by visit hospiceofthevalleys.org.uk/ and clicking the donate button in the top right hand corner.
- Have a collection tin in your work place hospiceofthevalleys.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/collection-boxes/
- Or simply just like and share our posts on social media. You can follow us on Facebook @Hospiceofthevalleys, twitter @HOTVFundraising and Instagram @hospiceofthevalleys
Every penny you raise supports the local people of Blaenau Gwent who are living with a life limiting illness so please get involved and do what you can this Hospice Care Week.
If you would like further information about supporting Hospice of the Valleys during Hospice Care Week please get in touch:
Call: 01495 717277 or e mail: Fundraising@hospiceofthevalleys.com