Any life limiting condition can seem frightening for patients and those closest to them. It is important to know that your Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) is there to support you and those important to you.
All of our nurses have expert knowledge and skills in managing your symptoms; also recognising that emotional, spiritual, family and financial worries might be just as important to you as the physical problems.
We aim to:
• Support you while you are facing serious illness
• Provide advice about pain and other physical symptoms
• Offer practical suggestions to help you do things that are important to you
• Offer support to those close to you
• Inform you about other services that might be helpful to you, such as additional support at home, groups and complementary therapies.
• Help you to plan for the future
With permission, your CNS will discuss your care with your GP and district nurses who will still be responsible for your medical and nursing care at home.
All of our hospice team can work as part of the inpatient palliative care service at Ysbyty Aneurin Bevan (YAB). This service allows our patients to go into hospital locally for control of their symptoms and end of life care if they wish.
The CNS team provide 24 hour support, 7 days a week. After 10pm this support is telephone advice only. Contact details for the CNS Team are in the front of your patient pack.
The table below shows the professionals who may be involved in your care and the things they can support with
|GP||District Nurse||Velindre (Chemo Pager)||HOV|
|Advice on Medication||Y||Y|
|Change of Medication||Y|
|Post Chemotherapy Treatment Advice||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|New Or Uncontrolled Pain||Y||Y||Y|
|Nausea and Vomiting||Y||Y||Y|
|Dressings and wounds||Y|