How to make a complaint

Complaints Procedure

We work hard to deliver high standards of service at all times and across the Organisation, but sometimes things go wrong. If you are unhappy with any aspect of our service, we would like you to let us know so that we can improve and try to make sure your experience is not repeated.

How do I make a complaint?

If something has gone wrong, we would like to sort it out as soon as we can.

Please contact our office on 01495 717277 to let us know about any part of our service that you are unhappy with.

If you would like to make a complaint or share a concern that you have, you can do so on by completing online complaints form  

If you’d rather write to us, you can do so by sending a letter to this address:

The Chief Executive Officer
Hospice of the Valleys
Festival Drive
Ebbw Vale
NP23 8XF

Is there a time limit?

Please let us know as soon as possible and within 12 months of the event happening or within 12 months of discovering you have cause to complain. Complaints received outside these timescales may still be investigated if there is a reason the complaint could not be made earlier and only if it is still possible to investigate what happened.

Will my care be affected if I complain?

No. Making a complaint will not affect your care in any way. Any information you give will be treated in confidence and with sensitivity. Information about your complaint will be kept separate from your clinical records.

What will happen when I raise my concern?

We will acknowledge your complaint within two working days from the date we receive it. Where possible, we will discuss your complaint with you to understand what has happened. We will also discuss:

  • how long it will take us to investigate your complaint
  • what you would like to see happen as a result of your complaint
  • how we will investigate your complaint
  • how you would like to receive our response – for example, by telephone or letter

Can you help me with making my complaint?

If you need support when making your complaint, further guidance can be found on the Department of Health’s NHS complaints guidance page.

What if I’m not satisfied with the outcome?

If you are not happy with our response or feel that we have missed something, please let us know. We will see if there is anything further that we can do to resolve your complaint, and try to address any outstanding issues.

If you are not happy with how we have dealt with your complaint and would like to take matters further, we have provided details below of organisations that will help with this. These bodies are independent, and the service they provide is free.

If we cared for you at home:

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales deals with unresolved complaints about health services in Wales. You can contact it by visiting the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales website, or by phone on 0300 7900 0203.

If we provided you with care in your home:

Care Inspectorate Wales deals with unresolved complaints about health services and care in Wales and also regulates some of our services.  You can contact them by visiting the Care Inspectorate Wales website, or by phone on 0300 7900 126.


Comments, suggestions or complaints

Tell us what you think

We always appreciate the opportunity your feedback gives us to improve our charity and our services. The more information we get on how we’re doing, the easier it will be for us to care for more people living with a life-limiting illness.

    What do you want to do?
    Compliment a staff member or teamMake a commentMake a complaintTell us your storyShare a concernOther (Please specify)

    Skip to content